Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Jessie Viola Biddix

Jessie Viola Biddix
June 26, 1915 - December 5, 1936
Daughter of Marion Robert and Melissa Ardella Lowery Biddix

From an interview with my grandmother, Marion Ardella Biddix Hall:

"Me and Jessie used to share a pallet in one of the upstairs rooms of the railroad house. Jessie had a cough from the time she was about two years old and she was always sickly. She took pneumonia and took one of her coughing spells. She would almost lose her breath when she would cough and she died like that. She was about 20 when she died and I was about 9. She died in December.

"Jessie had big blue eyes like Papa's. She was sort of frail looking because she was sick a lot. She was living at home when she died and was buried up at McKinney Gap. I don't think there were ever any pictures of her."

Jessie was the third child that Papa and Ma would lose in 1936. They buried three of their daughters... one in April, one in May and then Jessie in December. I cannot fathom that kind of loss. The hurt, the grief, or the kind of toll that it takes on a marriage.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Regarding the Winters family. My GGrandfather was James Isiah Franklin. His mother was Mary Jane Winters. His first wife was Luster (Lustry) M. Winters. Daniel is said to be her father. Do you have any idea or clues please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie thank you and Jesus for getting our mother's,family history...
    This means alot to me. Dee would say I favored Jesse and Mama would say, no she favors Ressie
    & she has ways like Ressie. They'd go over it and I'd go get what I had run in from play for:
    that being a dipper full cold water and dash back out to play. They neither one would fuss, they just stood on their accessment of me. Oh how I cherished both of them...
    Anyway thank you.
    Love & Prayers, Aunt Ree

    ReplyDelete